Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Legal Guardian Mix up

I just knew something wasn't right. I had that feeling deep, down in the bottom of my stomach. We have been home from our first visit trip since February 19, 2007 and we had not received any news about our case. I asked for an update from our contact at our adoption agency and she responded back to us last night. It seems that there was a problem with the social worker report. The social worker said that our adoption homestudy did not address legal guardianship. What! I know that it was addressed because we had to submit copies of our Last Will & Testament to the homestudy agency. I raced upstairs to tell my husband that our case has been at a stand still for the past three weeks, and together we both start searching through our mound of adoption paperwork looking for our homestudy. After several exasperating moments we find the darn thing and as we skim the report (all nine pages) we find what we are looking for. Sure enough on page 7 of the report the social worker indicates that my sister and her husband have been appointed the legal guardians of our children (including Miranda) should anything happen to the two of us.

I whiz back downstairs (taking the steps two at a time) and fire back an email to our agency. I pointed out the page and section and then quoted exactly what the social worker wrote. "Is this enough I ask?" The last thing that we want is to be kicked out of PGN (like our attorney general) for something being wrong with our paperwork. Once you get kicked out of PGN it takes about 6 weeks for your file to be reviewed again. Such an unnecessary delay since our little girl is getting older each and every day.

Thankfully we heard back from our agency today and it sounds like everything is back on track. Keep those fingers, legs, and arms crossed that we can enter and exit PGN quickly. We are ready to bring Miranda home.

No comments: